I CAN’T WAIT
the girl in this image is kaitlyn hunt, a high school senior in indian river county, florida. kaitlyn hunt is an upstanding student with an exemplary record and plenty of extracurricular activities. she’s in the choir, she’s a cheerleader, she’s a basketball player, and she was even voted “most school spirit” in the school’s yearbook.
on february 16th, she was arrested for lewd and lascivious battery on a child age 12-16 for being in a same sex relationship with a fellow 15 year old student. the relationship started when kaitlyn was 17 and her girfriend was 15. as soon as kaitlyn turned 18, her girlfriend’s parents went to the police, had her arrested, and got her expelled from school. not only that, but she had previously already been kicked off the basketball team for being in a same sex relationship.
kaitlyn’s girlfriend INSISTS that the relationship is 100% consensual, but the law doesn’t grant her any legal say in the matter, so her parents are able to press charges regardless of her opinion. and because of that, kaitlyn is facing two years of house arrest and a year of probation. they never spoke to kaitlyn’s parents or the school to say they had a problem with the girls dating. they simply went to the police and got her arrested.
it would be very simple for anyone to argue that age is the defining factor in this situation, but you and i both know that’s total bullshit. the girls were minors when they started dating. the parents stated that “there is no way our daughter is gay.”
this was driven by the homophobia of those parents, plain and simple. if this was an 18 year old male and a 15 year old girl, nobody would give a shit. it happens ALL the time in high schools across the country. but because this young woman, who planned on being a nurse, is now facing felony charges because she was in a same sex relationship.
this is not okay. we need to show our support for kaitlyn and send a message to florida legislators that the selective enforcement of laws like this is NOT okay and that we will NOT stand for this.
if you’re from florida, you should also find and email your representatives and tell them selective legislation biased against homosexuals, especially teenagers, is simply NOT OKAY!!!!
1. There will be several days that you daydream about stepping in front of a city bus. Don’t. It will not be beautiful. It will not be brave. It will be selfish. It will be broken. Your mother will cry.
2. Don’t write for him. Write for you. Write for others like you. Write so the girl that thinks about stepping in front of public transportation doesn’t. Don’t be selfish.
3. When you will yourself to sleep and it doesn’t come- get up. It doesn’t matter that it’s 3 am. There will be other 3 am’s. Take a shower. Take two. Wash him out of your hair. Write a poem. Read the same book you’ve read 202 times again. The 203rd time might tell you something different. Don’t stay in bed- you will think about the bus again.
4. Don’t kiss him because he’s broken. Don’t kiss him because his laughter never reaches his eyes. Don’t try and fix him. Fix yourself first. Be selfish. He can’t save you.
5. Date yourself. Take yourself out to eat. Don’t share your popcorn at the movies with anyone. Stroll around an art museum alone. Fall in love with canvases. Fall in love with yourself.
6. Dress up and wear red lipstick and get drunk with your friends. They’re the ones that will pick you up. Don’t kiss him. Or him. Don’t fall asleep on strange couches with strange boys. When his hand slides up your dress walk away. Hit him. Don’t kiss him. He can’t save you.
7. Get another tattoo. Get five more. Get another hole in your ear. Don’t listen to your dad. You will still be able to get a job. Did you really want to be employed by someone like your father? Haven’t you had enough of judgmental old white men anyway? Get fuck you tattooed in tiny letters on your hip.
8. When you feel the yearning for a new city- start over. Take 200 bucks and a three suitcases. Work anywhere that will have you. Meet strange people and forget your name. Call yourself Ruby. No one will know the difference. Remember to call your mother. Don’t be selfish. Come home when you find yourself in the strangers and the small one bedroom apartment.
9. Don’t whisper evil things into your own ear. Other people are going to shout them at you. Be your own hero. Keep a sword on your key ring.
10. Don’t step in front of a city bus. It will not be beautiful. Live. Stay up all night with a boy that promises you everything and means it. Live. See shitty local bands with a friend. Wear a different band’s t-shirt. No one will care. Live. Have a baby girl with tiny fingers and tiny toes someday. Pour love into her until it’s overflowing. Live. Wake up. Staying in bed all day is not poetic.
Do you hear that? It’s me. It’s your life. Wake up.”
This is… I’m speechless. It’s absolutely amazing.
“When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life you have a thousand reasons to smile.” #smile #quote #happy #girl #blonde #girlsofinstagram #derpin #lazyeye #instafamous #picoftheday